The Artisan Leader Conference August 14 and 15, 2018
Featuring Dr. Mike Rutherford
This leadership conference is a new offering from Dr. Mike Rutherford and the Rutherford Group, creators of the widely acclaimed educational program, The Artisan Teacher™.
The conference is crafted to build on the professional learning needs of instructional leaders (for example, graduates of the Instructional Leadership Academy or other leadership programs) who desire to take leadership skills to the next level.
- Leading and Designing Change
- Communication, Influencing, and Persuasion Skills
- Leading High Performing Teams
We have 15 rooms available at the Best Western Plus at $130.00+hst
To make a reservation, call the hotel directly at 1‐902‐463‐2000 or 1‐866‐676‐9846, and ask for the room block for NSELC Leaders.
There is an NSTU rate of $135.00 available and there are also other hotels in the area.
Registration Fee: $499.00 (plus HST) = $573.85
Includes : Mid morning snacks and lunch
To register for the 2018 Artisan Leader Conference, click here to fill out our online form.
Day One Registration: 7:30 AM – 8:45 AM
Day One Workshop: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Day Two Workshop: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Best Western Plus Dartmouth Hotel & Suites
15 Spectacle Lake Drive
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
What's the concept?
The Artisan Leader: An Ed Leadership Conference Series is a new offering from Mike Rutherford and Rutherford Learning Group (RLG), creators of the widely acclaimed educational programs The Artisan Teacher™, Developing the Artisan Teacher™, The Artisan Teacher: A Field Guide to Skillful Teaching™, Creating the Learning Centered School™, Skillful Observation and Coaching Laboratory™, LeaderNext™, and Requisites of a Leader™.
How is this different from other leadership conferences?
Heart of a Servant, Mind of a Scholar, Inspiration of an Artist. The Artisan Leader: An Ed Leadership Conference Series is designed around these three core values:
- Heart of a Servant. Service to others through leadership designed to build capacity, community, and life inside education organizations.
- Mind of a Scholar. Sharp thought tools and challenging new approaches based on emerging research, leading edge literature, and best practice from inside and outside education.
- Inspiration of an Artist. Professional learning designed to build leadership capacity for innovation, creativity, and transformation of the education workplace into one characterized by energy, stamina, and inspiration.
The conference site, agenda, materials, and learning designs are specifically crafted to deliver maximum learning in a professional setting. The two-day format is designed to add value in a manner that fits the busy schedules of Ed leaders.
Conference enrollment is limited to create full engagement opportunities and ensure valuable networking connections. All conference sessions will be led by Mike Rutherford. Lessons will be brisk and immediately reinforced through networking and team learning. Additionally, the conference experience is designed to equip attendees to return to their schools and lead the lessons, activities, and experiences for others.
Day 1 AM: Introduction to Artisan Leadership:
- Overview of the three (of nine modules) that encompass developable skillsets that support and magnify the administrator’s primary role as instructional leader.
Instructional Leaders as servants, scholars, and artist:
- Robert Greenleaf Characteristics of servant leadership in education: 1. Deep self-knowledge and self-awareness 2. A long-term, sustainable view that includes skillful leadership transitions 3. Personal courage 4. A strong and tight link to one’s higher calling or larger purpose 5. Intellectual and personal humility 6. Commitment to the growth and development of others 7. Ownership, autonomy, and shared decision-making 8. Humane use of data and analytics 9. Intergenerational collaboration 10. Civility 11. Community 12. Authentic and meaningful work 13. Focus on the fundamentals of design, leadership, and teaching.
Day 1 PM: Module A: Leading and Designing Change
Day 2 AM: Module B: Communication, Influencing, and Persuasion Skills
Day 2 PM: Module C: Leading High Performing Teams
Day 2 PM: Envisioning Next Steps for Powerful and Supportive Instructional Leadership