Instructional leadership ensures that all students have ongoing access to high quality teaching and learning to achieve curriculum outcomes.
Instructional leaders demonstrate instructional leadership when they
- focus on improving the effectiveness of instruction to increase the achievement of all students
- know when, how, and why to initiate and sustain instructional change
- create a school-wide inclusive culture of high expectations for achievement and for rigor, relevance, and respect in the classroom
- ensure instructional practices are appropriate to the context and grounded in research and the authentic assessment of student learning
- close the knowing-doing gap by moving successfully from sound theory to effective practices
- are knowledgeable about and deeply involved in the implementation of the instructional program of the school